Monday, August 11, 2008

African lightning protection?!?


I've been living in South Africa almost my whole life and I'm only now beginning to recognise her beauty. Today's HS:MS prompt is 'leaves' and my pic is of an Aloe Aristata (Guinea-Fowl Aloe). Africa is full of superstition, and as a result this aloe is grown in a pot to protect the African homestead from lightning strikes and is also sometimes ingested as a medicine to induce pregnancy. Unfortunately it's now on the endangered list but nevertheless has a beautiful set of leaves.

6 comments:

hannah said...

Really lovely shot.

Chris T said...

Great shot & love your other recent prompts too. Nice to meet you. Visited Cape Town & area last October & loved it

Aubrey Harns said...

This is a beautiful plant & a truly great shot. Your DOF here is right on!

Sue said...

Hi Brendan :-) I play along with HSMS too :-) Nice to meet you.

Great shot, nicely cropped and interesting infolo :-)

I am a snapper with a decent compact . . . but HSMS has opened my eyes to the beauty around me too :-)

Louise said...

not visted your blog before, loving all your shots

Igotmebabe said...

A lovely shot Brendan of a beautiful plant
Janette